- Bellingham, WA gets everyone involved in energy savings – From the City of Bellingham and the local school district, to multiple community partners, and even the garbage trucks, everyone in Bellingham is spreading the word about energy savings.
Read more about this community spotlight in Whatcom Talk, and visit BellinghamEnergyPrize.org for more.
- Huntsville Focuses Extreme Energy Makeover and Comfort Project On Low-Income Residents – Huntsville Utilities (HU) ramped up its efforts in the fall of 2015 working with volunteers, local leaders, residents, TVA, and local media outlets to help create a more efficient community. The “Huntsville Extreme Energy Makeover” (HEEM) project helps residents in Madison County that are of limited means to significantly reduce energy waste, increase efficiency and reduce monthly expenses.
Read more about this community spotlight, and visit Huntsville’s Operation Green Team for more.
- Chattanooga, TN – Cattanooga encourages residents to “Save it Forward” so that the entire community can join together in energy savings. Read more at green|spaces Chattanooga’s Empower Chattanooga.
- Madison, WI – Madison Residents Compete to Make Cool Choices – “Cool Choices…[an] online card game, promotes sustainability in workspaces. Participating employees take sustainable action according to cards, getting points and beating their colleagues.” Read more about the introduction of Cool Choices earlier this year and visit GreenMadison.org/ for much more.
- Monroe County, IN – Recognizing Energy Leaders – “Energy Leaders (in Bloomington, IN) were nominated by community members and were selected for various achievements including a 70 percent reduction in home energy use, teaching youth to perform basic home weatherization, and organizing neighborhood energy assessments.” Read about the first round of Energy Leaders at WBIW.com and visit mocoenergychallenge.org for much more.
- Athens County, OH – Creating an Energy Savvy Community – From upgrading libraries, to engaging youth, to implementing policies, and even playing games, Athens County, Ohio is pulling out all the stops to become an energy savvy community. Read some great media stories from Athens County and Visit upgradeathens.org for much more.
- Holland, MI – Holland Youth Are Knocking on Every Door to Save Energy –
24 “youth energy ambassadors” in Holland, MI have set out to knock on every door in their community, to save energy, save money, and continue being a leading example of community-wide energy efficiency. Read more about the Knock on Every Door campaign in the Holland Sentinel and Visit hollandenergyprize.com for much more.
Fort Collins, CO – There’s an App for Saving Energy in Fort Collins – As a part of their innovative Lose-A-Watt Energy Prize Program, Fort Collins has launched a mobile phone app to help residents save energy. Visit lose-a-watt.com for more.
- Columbia, MO – CoMo Goes In-Depth on Energy Data to Drive Savings – Building off of the data required for the Georgetown University Energy Prize, Columbia, Missouri works with their utilities to get a more detailed understanding of how each neighborhood is consuming energy. Visit www.gocolumbiamo.com/comoenergy/map/ to check out their maps and learn more.
- Bend, OR – Bend Energy Challenge (BEC) Encourages Residents to “Do Just One Thing” – Each month, residents of Bend, Oregon are being encouraged to do one simple thing that will reduce energy consumption, and add up to new habits and new ways of using energy. Visit bendenergychallenge.org for more.